There are several questions that arise for patients who are pondering . Which is faster? Is better than ? What is the effectiveness of and does work for different types of issues?
While aligners are not necessarily new to modern dentistry, has grown in popularity over the past few years. Additionally, the should be carefully considered before making a significant and productive move to straighten your smile.
Before scheduling your initial Invisalign treatment. So, let’s discover the versus to determine which is right for you. consultation with Pannu Dental Group, consider exploring the different and personalized options for patient focused
One of the most noticeable differences between traditional braces isn’t noticeable at all – specifically, the appearance. and
Metal are a combination of visible stainless steel and/or alloy parts that are semi-permanently affixed to the teeth. On the other hand, – as the name suggests – is completely clear and is virtually invisible to the naked eye. As a result, they are a preferred option for patients of all ages who are self-conscious about their smile and want a less permanent option for perfecting their teeth for the long term.
The Growing Popularity of Invisalign Among Adults
has arguably been most popular with adults who need teeth straightening solutions and are well past their teenage years when are most used. There is an ease of use and aesthetic value that naturally offers. Additionally, it’s a preferred solution for patients of all ages with varying issues that can be addressed with an .
and What Are the Aligners Made Of?
, the brand, was first introduced by Align Technology in 1998. The thin and clear aligners are made from a flexible thermoplastic material called SmartTrack. These medical-grade, high molecular weight and thermoplastic polymers have a long history of FDA approvals for long-term use. In addition, they were created based on their properties and safety classification.
The process boils down to a handful of key steps.
- The first step is to meet with your , who will create a 3D image of your teeth, mouth, and jaw to create a plan to move your teeth into a perfectly formed smile.
- With these 3D images and plans in hand, your orthodontist will create custom-made sets of aligners that gently apply pressure to your teeth, slowly shifting them into their proper and desired place.
- These aligners are then worn 20-22 hours per day until the treatment is complete, which is an average of 12-18 months, (versus 18-24 months for traditional .)
- Depending on your specific treatment plan, you will generally switch out your aligners every week or two and will have follow-up visits to check on the progress of your .
What Issues Can an Address?
Many patients are surprised to learn thattreatments can address various issues of varying degrees.
A sample of some of the that is used for includes the following:
- Overbite issues, which is when the front upper teeth protrude over the lower teeth.
- Underbite issues are where the lower teeth extend further than the upper teeth.
- Crossbite issues are where upper teeth fit behind your lower teeth when your mouth is shut, (like underbite).
- Open bite issues, which is where the front upper and lower teeth slant upward.
- Gap teeth, or spaces in between certain teeth.
- Crowded teeth, or teeth that are too close together and may even overlap.
Regardless of how your smile needs to be distinctively straightened, the bottom line is that can address one or more issues at once since the aligners are custom created for your unique treatment.
The Pros and Cons of Invisalign Treatments
So, is the right fit for you? Consider these before making this essential decision.
- is invisible – One of the biggest reasons patients consider is simply because of its aesthetic value. Unlike , is a naturally clear and invisible way to straighten your teeth, so you can remove any self-consciousness about your smile while undergoing an treatment.
- Easy to remove – is worn for an average of 20-22 hours per day and can be easily removed to eat and brush your teeth, as well as anytime an individual requires.
- Fast treatment time – is as fast or even faster than , as an treatment lasts an average of 12-18 months.
- Less time in the dentist’s chair – typically requires fewer follow-up visits during the treatment process.
- Safer – Unlike , which can break or malfunction and cause a need for an emergency dentist visit, is not prone to breaking and can be easily removed.
- Better comfort – moves teeth more gradually than traditional , leading to less discomfort.
- Requires vigilance – Because aligners can be removed, patients must remain vigilant and ensure that they wear them for the appropriate amount of time.
- Can be lost – Unlike are semi-permanently affixed , it is easier to lose the removable .
- May not be the best treatment for an individual’s distinctive – treatments work for a wide range of oral health issues, but certainly not all. Your dentist will be able to guide you on the best distinctive path for your smile, taking your comfort level and desired results into account.
? Pannu Dental Group Can Help!
At Pannu Dental Group, we’re experts on a range of modern and technologically advanced solutions for common and even complex , and that includes . Our patients’ care and comfort are our sole focus. Therefore, we’re your best resource to discover the range of treatments available and which is best suited for your unique needs.
Reach out to us today to get the conversation started. Let’s partner together to find the best way to beautify and straighten your smile to its glowing best.
Dr. Dalvir S. Pannu has been a practicing dentist since 1995. In 1996 he opened his first dental practice in India, where he gained invaluable experience and acumen. In October of 1997 he was invited by the American Dental Association (ADA) to present the table clinic on Endodontics, at their annual session held in Washington, D.C. At this time he fell in love with the United States and became passionate about practicing dentistry in California. He became particularly enamored of the San Francisco Bay area, and soon took up residence and work here.